Wednesday, June 24, 2009

about me


About Me
A little bit bout me...
Hi I am Kerry Allen. i am Mother to David, Jessie, Roberto, Evelyn and little michael
I have been very fortunate in my life to always know and be able to follow my passions.


The first passion i encountered was/is teaching. I decided to be a teacher when I was in the Peace Corps in West Africa. I was asked to teach an English class. I had NO prior teaching experience but I said “sure, why not”. It was a blast and I decided this was my calling. When I returned to the United States I obtained my masters degree in teaching at Claremont Graduate School. I have had the opportunity to teach adults, 1st-12th, fragile learners, gifted learners, home school, traditional, just to name a few. It has given me a deep understanding of how learners process information and greater flexibility in my teaching style.


The second passion that came to me was/is birth. It has become a guiding force in my life. When I became pregnant with my daughter Jessie, I realized I knew nothing about pregnancy, birth and beyond. So I set about educating myself through reading, videos and questioning any one who would answer my 101 questions. At the same time I was teaching at a continuation high school and most of my students were pregnant or fathers. I was horrified by the misinformation they were receiving. Several of my students asked me to teach them classes on child birth. So I informally launched into my current career. From there I continued to seek information for my self and my clients. I worked for a year and a half to become a certified childbirth educator.
During this time my midwife asked me to help her as a labor assistant in the hospital with one of her clients. This was the first birth (other then my own) I had attended. I decided I would also become a Doula or labor attendant. So I simultaneously completed my Doula training and began attending births.
I have practiced yoga for years and with all of my pregnancies and found it to be helpful. With this last pregnancy I had the opportunity to take a Whole Birth Prenatal Yoga class. It was amazing and powerful so I immediately took the training (I was 8 months pregnant) and added prenatal yoga to my professional birthing services. it has informed and changed the way i each and do doula work.
Recently the clients I have been encountering do not have the time and flexibility to take a traditional 6 week childbirth education series. So I have been modifying my curriculum to meet there needs and it has naturally turned into the Baby Moon Weekend Getaway.
So… this is how I came to be where I am. One of the beautiful aspects of living on the planet is we are continually growing and changing. I am passionate about the work I do. It is fulfilling and challenging and rewarding. I am excited to see where the next 15 years take me. I wish you strength and joy on your journey.


Much peace
Kerry Allen
360 536 5126
doulakerry@earhlink.net